Elizabeth has lived with diamonds, wildfires, and miracles. The Graduate Gemologist and communication specialist speaks about adventures with heart. From South Sea pearls to Faberge Eggs and South American emeralds, her work in gemology and writing have brought exciting travels.
But life is rarely all sparkle. Elizabeth’s family lost everything, save what the fire fighters put outside as a remnant during a large, terrible wildfire—ironically called the Witch Creek Wildfire. Determined to thrive, rather than just get by, she spots potential as much as she finds inclusions in her microscope. Her creative eye and stories help others rise above circumstances, finding hope and courage. Using her background with gemology, ten years in corporate marketing and public relations, and youth work, Elizabeth explores current topics full of depth and intrigue for tweens and teens. She also speaks and blogs for adults and kids on living a diamond-resilient life.
Elizabeth is a graduate of the Craftsman writing residency through the Christian Writers Guild, and holds a degree in journalism/public relations and minor in marketing and English from Baylor University. Previously, she worked in marketing, corporate writing, and public relations with Ernst & Young and tech companies. She also holds degrees in graduate gemology, graduate diamonds, and graduate colored stones from the Gemological Institute of America. In the jewelry business, she helped clients build their dreams with appraisals, a tad of designing, and matching the perfect fine jewelry to make the moment unforgettable.
- Jazz from the 1940s through modern Jazz, all the Michael Bublé, lots of 1980s music, and I’m partial to The Power of Love since I was babysitting for Huey Lewis’s kids during that time!
- Middle grade authors— I love reading fantasy, mystery, historical fiction, and adventures. Natalie Lloyd, Cassie Beasley, Lindsay Lackey, Shannon Messenger, Neal Shusterman, Eric Elfman, Ted Bell, Polly Shulman, S.E. Grove, Ally Carter, and so many more.
- Love C.S. Lewis—I studied abroad with a special program in England reading all C.S. Lewis’ fiction and nonfiction. I’ve seen where he was married and is buried, and my favorite—where he first had the idea for the character Aslan.
- Avid reader of young adult authors, like Sara Ella, Mary Weber, Shannon Dittemore, Nova McBee, Lorie Langdon and Carey Corp, Kara Swanson, Marissa Meyer, Morgan Busse, Nadine Brandes, and more.
- Vacation spots—I love Hawaii, the California coast, and mountain lakes in the Northwest. I enjoy museums and historic homes, especially imagining what it was like to live there and what might happen if the furniture or walls could talk. I visited Engelberg, Switzerland—it means “mountain home to the angels” and is just so special.
- Movies and TV—Since I love mysteries, adventures, cool technology and fantasy some favorites are Wonder Woman, the Marvel movies, Mandalorian, Eureka, Indiana Jones, Mission Impossible, Narnia, Disney films like Moana, Frozen, Ella Enchanted, The Invention of Hugo Cabaret and White Collar.